Meaning and Origin of: Thurman
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Thor's hill
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English (East Midlands) : from the Middle English personal name Thurmond, Old Norse þormundr, composed of the elements þórr, name of the Norse god of thunder (see Thor) + mundr ‘protection’. Reaney and Wilson suggest that, Thurmond having been an uncommon personal name, this surname may also represent the commoner name Thurmod, Thormod with the second element derived from Old Norse móþr ‘mind’, ‘courage’, but assimilated to -mund (a common second element in other compound names).
- German (Thurmann) : habitational name for someone from a place called Thur (see Thur).
- German (Thurmann) : occupational name for a watchman, from Middle Low German torn(e)man (torn(e) ‘tower’) or Middle High German turn, turm ‘tower’ + man ‘man’.
- Respelling of Jewish (from Ukraine) Turman, a nickname from Yiddish turman ‘inconstant man’.