Meaning and Origin of: Summer
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- English, Arabic : Summer season
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English and German : from Middle English sum(m)er, Middle High German sumer ‘summer’, hence a nickname for someone of a warm or sunny disposition, or for someone associated with the season of summer in some other way.
- English : assimilated variant of Sumner.
- English : assimilated variant of Sumpter.
- Irish (Leinster and Munster) : Anglicization (part translation) of Gaelic Ó Samhraidh ‘descendant of Samhradh’, a byname meaning ‘summer’. The Gaelic name is also Anglicized as O’Sawrie, O’Sawra.
- German : from Middle High German summer ‘woven basket’ and, by extension, a measure of grain; also ‘drum’, hence a metonymic occupational name or nickname from any of these senses.