Meaning and Origin of: Star
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- American, English, Latin : A star
- Latin : Star
- French : Variation of Estella
- English : Bright
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : nickname from German Star, Middle High German star, ‘starling’, probably denoting a talkative or perhaps a voracious person.
- Dutch : nickname either for a gloomy person or for someone who was rigid and inflexible, from Middle Dutch staer ‘having a troubled or gloomy expression’; ‘tight’, ‘stiff’.
- English translation of German and Jewish Stern.
- Slovenian : from the adjective star ‘old’ (see Stare).