Meaning and Origin of: Selle
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Scandinavian : Divinely protected
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : variant of Sell 1.
- German : from Middle High German, Middle Low German selle ‘friend’, ‘companion’.
- French : habitational name from any of the various places called Selle, Selles, or La Selle, named with Latin cella ‘cell’, ‘cot’, ‘hut’, ‘stall’.
- Dutch (Van Selle) : habitational name for someone from Zelle in Herenthout, Antwerp.
- A Selle (or De Selle) from the Burgundy region of France was documented in Montreal in 1729.