Meaning and Origin of: Russ
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- French : Red-haired; foxlike
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : variant spelling of Rouse.
- German : from a short form of a Germanic personal name formed with hrōd ‘renown’.
- German (of Slavic origin) : from Old Slavic rusu ‘reddish’, ‘blond’, hence a nickname or an ethnic name meaning ‘Russian’.
- Swiss German : topographic name for someone who lived by a scree, Middle High German ru(o)zze.
- In some instances the name referred to personal or business connections with Russia, the country of the Reussen, from Middle High German Riusse.