Meaning and Origin of: Roche
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Rock fortress
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Irish (of Norman origin) : see Roache. This is the name of various important families in Munster (counties Cork, Wexford, and Limerick).
- French : topographic name for someone who lived by a rocky outcrop or crag, Old French roche.
- German : from a short form of a Germanic personal name, Rocco, based on hrok, of uncertain origin, or hrōd ‘renown’.
- French bearers of the name were first documented in Château Richer, Quebec, in 1665; the secondary surname <xref>Lafontaine</xref> is also attested.