Meaning and Origin of: Rich
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- English : Rich and powerful ruler
- American : Leader
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : nickname for a wealthy man (or perhaps in some cases an ironic nickname for a pauper), from Middle English, Old French riche ‘rich’, ‘wealthy’ (of Germanic origin, akin to Germanic rīc ‘power(ful)’).
- English : from a medieval personal name, a short form of Richard, or less commonly of some other compound name with this first element.
- English : habitational name from the lost village of Riche in Lincolnshire, apparently so named from an Old English element ric ‘stream’ or, here, ‘drainage channel’. Some early forms of the surname, such as Ricardus de la riche (Hampshire 1200) and Alexander atte Riche (Sussex 1296) probably derive from minor places named with this element in southern counties, as for example Glynde Reach in Sussex.
- Americanized form of German Reich.