Meaning and Origin of: Ranger
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- French : Dweller in the field
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : occupational name for a gamekeeper or warden, from Middle English ranger, an agent derivative of range(n) ‘to arrange or dispose’.
- German : variant of Rang 2, 3.
- German : habitational name for someone from any of the places named Rangen, in Alsace, Bavaria, and Hesse.
- French : from a Germanic personal name formed with rang, rank ‘curved’, ‘bent’; ‘slender’.
- A person called Ranger from La Rochelle, France, is documented in Quebec City in 1684 with the secondary surname <xref>Laviolette</xref>.