Meaning and Origin of: Platt
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- French : Ground without slope
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : habitational name from Platt or Platt Bridge in Lancashire, named in Middle English with Old French plat ‘flat’, ‘thin’ (see Platte), in the dialect sense ‘plank bridge’.
- English : topographic name from Middle English plat ‘plot of land’, ‘piece of ground’ (Old English plætt).
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : nickname from German platt ‘flat’.
- German : variant of Platte 3.