Meaning and Origin of: Nobel
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Latin : Honorable one; well-born
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Swedish : shortened form of Nobelius, a Latinized habitational name from a place called Nöbbelöv. This is one of the rare genuine habitational names in Swedish, as distinct from ornamental coinages, which sometimes look like place names.
- German (also Nöbel) : from a short form of a Germanic personal name composed with nōt ‘distress’, ‘force’.
- German (also Nöbel) : in some cases a habitational name from a place so named near Danzig (Polish Gdańsk) and (Nöbel) from Nöbeln in Saxony.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : ornamental name from German nobel ‘noble’.