Meaning and Origin of: Neve
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Last name origin & meaning:
- English, Dutch, Danish, and Swedish : from Middle English, Old Norse, Middle Dutch neve ‘nephew’, presumably denoting the nephew of some great personage.
- French (Nève) : Lyonnais habitational name from the Rhône place name En Nève, which derives from misdivision of En ève ‘in water’ (modern standard French en eau).
- Italian : from the personal name Neve, which may be from neve ‘snow’ (Latin nix, genitive nivis), possibly denoting a white-haired or very pale-complexioned person, or, according to Caracausi, may be a variant of the personal name Neves, from the Marian epithet Madonna della Neve or Maria Santissima ad nives ‘Mary of the Snows’.
- Portuguese and Galician : from neve ‘snow’. Compare 3.
- A family by the name Neve traces its descent from Robert le Neve, living in Tivetshall, Norfolk, in the 14th century.