Meaning and Origin of: Mora
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- French : Dark; dark-haired
- Irish : Bitter
- Spanish : Sweet berry
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Portuguese, Spanish, and Catalan (Móra) : habitational name from any of the places named Mora, in some cases from mora ‘mulberry’ (Late Latin mora, originally the plural of classical Latin morum).
- Occitan and Catalan (Morà) : from Morandus, an old personal name of uncertain derivation and meaning.
- Italian : topographic name from Old Italian mora ‘pile of stones’.
- Hungarian (Móra) : from a pet form of the personal name Móricz, Hungarian form of Morris.
- Czech and Polish : from a short form of a personal name, e.g. Czech Mauric, Polish Maurycy, derived from Latin Mauritius (see Morris).
- Polish : possibly a nickname from mora ‘sickness’, ‘plague’.
- Czech : possibly a nickname from mora ‘vampire’.