Meaning and Origin of: Merrick
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- English : Ruler of the sea
- Irish : Bright sea
- French : Famous
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Welsh : from the Welsh personal name Meurig, a form of Maurice, Latin Mauritius (see Morris).
- English : from an Old French personal name introduced to Britain by the Normans, composed of the Germanic elements meri, mari ‘fame’ + rīc ‘power’.
- Scottish : habitational name from a place near Minigaff in the county of Dumfries and Galloway, so called from Gaelic meurach ‘branch or fork of a road or river’.
- Irish : when not Welsh or English in origin, probably an Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Mearadhaigh (see Merry).