Meaning and Origin of: Main
First name origins & meanings:
- Welsh : Slender
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Scottish : from a reduced form of the Scandinavian personal name Magnus.
- Scottish : topographic name for a farmer who farmed the main farm on an estate.
- Scottish, English (of Norman origin), and French : from the Continental Germanic personal name Maino, Meino, a short form of the various compound names with a first element magin ‘strength’, ‘might’.
- Scottish and English (of Norman origin) : regional name for someone from the French province of Maine. Compare Mansell 1.
- Scottish and English (of Norman origin) : nickname for a large man, from Anglo-Norman French magne, maine ‘big’.
- Scottish, English (of Norman origin), and French : nickname for someone with a deformed or missing hand, from Old French main ‘hand’ (Latin manus).