Meaning and Origin of: Lucas
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Latin : Bringer of light
- Greek : Patron saint of doctors, artists, and creatives
- English : Bringer of light
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, etc. : from the Latin personal name Lucas (Greek Loukas) ‘man from Lucania’. Lucania is a region of southern Italy thought to have been named in ancient times with a word meaning ‘bright’ or ‘shining’. Compare Lucio. The Christian name owed its enormous popularity throughout Europe in the Middle Ages to St. Luke the Evangelist, hence the development of this surname and many vernacular derivatives in most of the languages of Europe. Compare Luke. This is also found as an Americanized form of Greek Loukas.
- Scottish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Lùcais (see McLucas).
- As a French name Lucas has been recorded in Canada since 1653, taken to Trois Rivières, Quebec, by one Lucas-Lépine from Normandy.