Meaning and Origin of: Lott
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew : Furtive; hidden; covered
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : from a medieval personal name brought to England by the Normans, of uncertain origin. It may be the Hebrew personal name Lot ‘covering’, which was relatively popular in northern France, or a reduced form of various names formed with the diminutive suffix -lot (originally a combination of -el + -ot), commonly used with women’s names.
- English : from Middle English lot(t)e ‘lot’, ‘portion’ (Old English hlot), in the sense of an allotted share of land, hence a status name for someone who held such a plot.
- Dutch : metonymic occupational name for a plumber or lead roofer, from lood ‘lead’.
- German : from a pet form of Ludwig.
- German : topographic name from the dialect word lott ‘mud’, ‘dirt’.