Meaning and Origin of: Lory
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Latin : Crowned with laurel
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Northern English, Scottish, and Irish : from a pet form of Lawrence. Compare Lowry.
- South German and Swiss (also Löry) : from a pet form of the personal name Lorenz.
- French : habitational name from either of two villages called Lory, in Loir-et-Cher and Lot, or from Lorry in Moselle.
- A Lory-Gargot from Poitou, France, was in Cap-de-la-Madeleine, Quebec City, by 1665; in Quebec city by 1666; and Becquet by 1670. A Francois Lory, born in Poitiers, France, died in Lachine, Quebec, in 1702.