Meaning and Origin of: Lis
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Latin : A flower
- Scandinavian : Consecrated to God
- English : Consecrated to God; variation of Elizabeth
- Greek : Bee; honey bee
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Polish, Czech, and Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : from Polish and Czech dialect lis ‘fox’, a nickname for a cunning person or, in the case of the Jewish name, an ornamental name.
- Czech : nickname for a man with a bald pate, from a variant of Czech lysý ‘bald’.
- Dutch : metronymic from a short form of the personal female names Alice or Elisabeth (see Lies).
- Dutch (van Lis) : habitational name from Lixhe in Belgium or Lieze in the Netherlands.
- French : perhaps a habitational name for someone who lived at a house distinguished by the sign of a lily, Old French lis.