Meaning and Origin of: Lin
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Chinese : Beautiful; jade
- Spanish : Pretty
- Scandinavian : Lime tree
- Old English : Linden tree
- German : Mountain of linden trees
- English : Verbose; waterfall
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Chinese : from a word meaning ‘forest’. Bi Gan was a half-brother to Zhou Xin, the cruel and corrupt last king (1154–1123 bc) of the Shang dynasty. Bi Gan criticized his half-brother’s excesses, and for this he had his belly ripped open and his heart cut out. His wife fled to Chang Forest, where she gave birth to a son. When Zhou Xin was toppled by the new Zhou dynasty, the new Zhou ruler granted the son some land together with the name Lin.
- Chinese : variant of Lian 1.
- Scottish and English : perhaps a variant of Lynn.
- Dutch : probably a variant of Lyn.