Meaning and Origin of: Landa
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Violet flower, modest
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Norwegian : habitational name from any of several farmsteads in southwestern Norway, so named from the plural of land (see Land 1).
- Czech : from a short form of the personal name Mikulanda, a derivative of Mikuláš, Czech form of Greek Nikolaos (see Nicholas).
- Polish : nickname for a persistent and irritating person, from a derivative of the dialect verb landzić ‘to ask insistently’, ‘badger someone’.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : variant of Landau.
- Spanish and Basque : topographic name from the Basque landa ‘meadow’. There is a place of this name in Álava province, Basque Country, and the surname may in fact be a habitational name from this place.