Meaning and Origin of: Kinsey
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- English : Offspring
- Old English : Victorious prince; child
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : from the Middle English personal name Kynsey, a survival of Old English Cynesige, composed of the elements cyne ‘royal’ + sige ‘victory’.
- This name may also have assimilated some cases of Scottish MacKenzie, with the Mac prefix omitted.
- Possibly an Americanized spelling of Swiss German Künzi (see Kuenzi).
- The paternal grandfather of NJ and PA legislator John Kinsey (1693–1750) was one of the commissioners sent out from England in 1677 by the West Jersey proprietors to buy land from the Indians and to lay out a town. John was the leader of the Quaker party in the PA assembly and chief justice of the PA supreme court.