Meaning and Origin of: Karas
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Grace; beauty; kindness
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Polish (Karaś); Hungarian (Kárász); Czech, Slovak, Croatian, Slovenian (Prekmurje), and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from Slavic karas ‘crucian carp’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a carp fisher or possibly a nickname for someone with a fishlike appearance. As a Jewish name it is mainly an ornamental name.
- Greek : from a nickname meaning ‘black’ (see Caras).
- Hungarian : topographic name for someone living by the Karas river, a tributary of the river Danube, named with Turkish kara ‘black’ + suğ ‘water’.
- German : from a short form of the personal name Zacharias or of the Greek saint’s name Makarios, meaning ‘blessed one’.