Meaning and Origin of: Kam
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Hindi : Lotus
- Hawaiian : Precious one
- Slavic : Fragrant evergreen tree with fragrant flowers
- Irish : Warrior chief
- Teutonic : To cover, veil, or hide
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Dutch and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from Dutch and Yiddish kam ‘comb’, hence a metonymic occupational name either for a comb maker or for a wool comber or fuller.
- Reduced form of Dutch van der Kam, from Middle Dutch kamme ‘brewery’, hence a topographic name for someone who lived by a brewery or a metonymic occupational name for someone who worked in one.
- Reduced form of Dutch van Kam, a habitational name for someone from Chaam (formerly Kam) near Breda.
- Chinese : variant of Gan 1.
- Chinese : variant of Jin 1.