Meaning and Origin of: Hutt
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Settlement on the bluff
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : from the popular medieval personal name Hudde, which is of complex origin. It is usually explained as a pet form of Hugh, but there was a pre-existing Old English personal name, Hūda, underlying place names such as Huddington, Worcestershire. This personal name may well still have been in use at the time of the Norman Conquest. If so, it was absorbed by the Norman Hugh and its many diminutives. Reaney adduces evidence that Hudde was also regarded as a pet form of Richard.
- German : from a short form of a Germanic compound personal name formed with hut ‘guard’ as the first element.
- Variant spelling of German Hütt (see Huett).
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : metonymic occupational name from Yiddish hut, German Hut ‘hat’ (see Huth).