Meaning and Origin of: Holmes
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Norse : Island
- Norse : Lakeside hill; careful
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English (chiefly central and northern England) : variant of Holme.
- Scottish : probably a habitational name from Holmes near Dundonald, or from a place so called in the barony of Inchestuir.
- Scottish and Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Thomáis, Mac Thómais (see McComb). In part of western Ireland, Holmes is a variant of Cavish (from Gaelic Mac Thámhais, another patronymic from Thomas).
- John Holmes came from England to Woodstock, CT, in 1686. His descendants include the Congregational clergyman and historian Abiel Holmes, born 1763 in Woodstock, and Abiel’s son Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809–94).