Meaning and Origin of: Hager
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Last name origin & meaning:
- Dutch and North German : from a Germanic personal name composed of hag ‘hedge’, ‘enclosure’ + hari, heri ‘army’.
- from a Germanic personal name, Hadugar, composed of the elements hadu- ‘combat’, ‘strife’ + gari, from garwa ‘ready’, ‘eager’.
- German (also Häger) : topographic name for someone who lived by a hedged or fenced enclosure, Middle High German hac.
- German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : nickname for a thin man, from Middle High German, German hager ‘thin’, ‘gaunt’.
- English : occupational name for a woodcutter, from an agent derivative of Middle English haggen ‘to cut or chop’.