Meaning and Origin of: Hagen
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Dutch : Harbor
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- North German and Dutch : topographic name from Middle Low German hage(n), Middle Dutch haghe ‘enclosure’, ‘hedge’.
- German, Dutch, and Danish : from a Germanic personal name, a short form of the various compound names formed with hag ‘enclosure’, ‘protected place’ as the first element.
- German : nickname from Middle High German hagen ‘breeding bull’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : of uncertain origin; perhaps the same as 1.
- English : from an Old Scandinavian or continental Germanic personal name Hǫgni ‘protector’, ‘patron’ (Old Norse), Haghni (Old Danish), Hagano (Old Germanic).
- Norwegian : habitational name from any of numerous farmsteads so named, from the definite singular form of hage, from Old Norse hagi ‘enclosure’.
- Swedish : ornamental or topographic name from the definite singular form of hage ‘enclosed pasture’.