Meaning and Origin of: Griff
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- English : A mythological beast—half lion, half eagle—charged with watching over golden treasures
- Latin : Hooked nose
- Welsh : Red, ruddy
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : topographic name for someone living near a pit or hollow, from Old Norse gryfja ‘pit’, ‘hollow’, or a habitational name from Griff in Warwickshire, Griffe in Derbyshire, or Griff Farm in Rievaulx, North Yorkshire, all probably named with this word.
- Welsh : short form of Griffith.
- Possibly also a reduced form of Irish McGriff.
- German : variant of Greif 1.