Meaning and Origin of: Gower
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Crooked coastline
- French : Harness maker
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English (of Norman origin) : regional name for someone from the district north of Paris known in Old French as Gohiere.
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name from any of the various places in northern France called Gouy (from the Gallo-Roman personal name Gaudius + the locative suffix -acum), with the addition of the Anglo-Norman French suffix -er.
- English : from a Norman personal name, Go(h)ier, cognate with the Old English name mentioned at Gooder.
- Welsh : from the peninsula in southern Wales, of which the Welsh name is Gŵyr.
- Probably an Americanized spelling of German Gauer.