Meaning and Origin of: Gorman
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Irish : Small blue-eyed one
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Gormáin and Ó Gormáin ‘son (or descendant) of Gormán’, a personal name from a diminutive of gorm ‘dark blue’, ‘noble’. Compare O’Gorman.
- English : from the Middle English personal name Gormund, Old English Gārmund, composed of the elements gār ‘spear’ + mund ‘protection’.
- English : topographic name for someone who lived by or on a triangular patch of land (see Gore).
- German (Görmann) : variant of Gehrmann.
- German (Görmann) : of Slavic origin, occupational name for a miner, from Slavic góra ‘mountain’.