Meaning and Origin of: Garner
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Latin : Granary
- French : Sentry
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : from Anglo-Norman French gerner ‘granary’ (Old French grenier, from Late Latin granarium, a derivative of granum ‘grain’). It may have been a topographic name for someone who lived near a barn or granary, or a metonymic occupational name for someone in charge of the stores kept in a granary.
- English : variant of Warner 1, from a central Old French form.
- English : reduced form of Gardener.
- South German : from an agent derivative of Middle High German garn ‘thread’; by extension, an occupational name for a fisherman.
- Altered spelling of Gerner.