Meaning and Origin of: Fonda
First name origins & meanings:
- Spanish : Earth; grounded; profound
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Dutch : topographic name from fonda ‘mine’ (from Latin fundus, funda).
- Catalan : possibly a topographic name from fonda ‘inn’, from Arabic funduq, or perhaps a nickname from fonda ‘slingshot’.
- The name may also be Italian, a habitational name from a place named with the adjective fondo, fonda ‘deep’, for example Cavafonda ‘deep cave’ or Vallefonda.
- Jelles Fonda, son of Douw Fonda, came to North America from the Netherlands in 1642. His family was of Spanish or Catalan origin, having arrived in the Netherlands about a hundred years earlier via Genoa, according to some accounts fleeing from the Inquisition. Fonda, NY (county seat of Montgomery County), is named for Jelles Fonda; the actor Henry Fonda donated the Dutch family Bible to the library there.