Meaning and Origin of: Flory
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Latin : Blooming flower; flourishing
- Latin : Flowering, blooming
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : variant of Fleury.
- German form of a French Huguenot name, taken to the Palatinate by a family presumed to have fled from Fleury, France (but see Fleury).
- South German (mainly Austrian; also Flöry) : from a short form of the medieval personal name Florian.
- Joseph J. (1683–1741) and Mary Fleure and six children (including four sons) arrived in Philadelphia from the Palatinate in 1733 and settled in Lancaster Co. Two sons are the progenitors of the PA and MD Florys. One son moved to VA; his descendants Latinized their name as Flora.