Meaning and Origin of: Easter
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- American : From the holiday
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : topographic name for someone living to the east of a main settlement, from Middle English easter ‘eastern’, Old English ēasterra, in form a comparative of ēast ‘east’ (see East).
- English : habitational name from a group of villages in Essex, named from Old English eowestre ‘sheepfold’.
- English : nickname for someone who had some connection with the festival of Easter, such as being born or baptized at that time (Old English ēastre, perhaps from the name of a pagan festival connected with the dawn).
- Translation of the German family name Oster.