Meaning and Origin of: Devin
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- English : From Devonshire
- Irish : Poet
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Irish (County Louth) : variant of Devine 1.
- English and French : variant of Devine 2.
- French : from devin ‘sorcerer’, ‘fortune teller’ (related to the verb deviner ‘to divine’, ‘foretell’).
- Russian : metronymic from deva ‘girl’, normally a designation of an illegitimate child. Sometimes it may be a patronymic from a nickname for an effeminate man.
- A Breton bearer of this name was married in Quebec city in 1692.