Meaning and Origin of: Denny
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Fine wine lover
- Old English : From the oak valley
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Scottish and English : from a pet form of Dennis.
- English : habitational name from a place in Cambridgeshire, most probably named with Old English Dene ‘Dane’ + ēg ‘island’.
- Scottish : habitational name from Denny in Stirlingshire.
- Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Duibhne (see Deeney).
- Irish (Cork) : less frequently, a reduced Anglicization of Gaelic Ó Duineachdha (see Dennehy).