Meaning and Origin of: Cole
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Victorious people
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : from a Middle English pet form of Nicholas.
- English : from a Middle English personal name derived from the Old English byname Cola (from col ‘(char)coal’, presumably denoting someone of swarthy appearance), or the Old Norse cognate Koli.
- Scottish and Irish : when not of English origin, this is a reduced and altered form of McCool.
- In some cases, particularly in New England, Cole is a translation of the French surname Charbonneau.
- Probably an Americanized spelling of German Kohl.
- An Irish family by the name of Cole was established in Fermanagh by Sir William Cole (1576–1653). He was the first Provost of Enniskillen, and his descendants became earls of Enniskillen. The family is thought to have originated in Devon or Cornwall.