Meaning and Origin of: Claus
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Greek : People of victory; diminutive of Nicholas
- German : Victorious people
- Greek : Victorious people
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Variant spelling of German Klaus, which is from a popular personal name, a reduced form of Nikolaus (see Nicholas). This spelling is also found in Dutch.
- Occitan : topographic name for someone who lived by an enclosure of some sort, such as a courtyard or farmyard, from Late Latin clausum ‘enclosure’, ‘closed’, originally the past participle of claudere ‘to close’.