Meaning and Origin of: Cardon
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Irish : From the black fortress
- Old English : Wool carder
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- French : from Old Norman French cardon ‘thistle’ (a diminutive of carde, from Latin carduus), hence a topographic name for someone who lived on land overgrown with thistles, an occupational name for someone who carded wool (originally a process carried out with thistles and teasels), or perhaps a nickname for a prickly and unapproachable person.
- French : possibly from a reduced form of the personal name Ricardon, a pet form of Richard.
- English : variant spelling of Carden, cognate with 1.