Meaning and Origin of: Burg
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Free citizen; shopkeeper
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- German (also Bürg) : topographic name, from Middle High German burc ‘fortification’, ‘castle’, or a habitational name from any of the numerous places called Burg.
- German : from a short form of the personal name Burkhard (see Burkhart).
- Dutch : short form of Vanderburg.
- Dutch : from a short form of the Germanic personal name Burgo.
- Jewish : variant of Burger.
- Probably in some cases an altered spelling of Burgh.