Meaning and Origin of: Blain
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Gaelic : Lean
- Old English : Source of a river
- English : Source of a river
- Irish : Thin, lean
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Scottish : Anglicized form of the Gaelic personal name Bláán, a diminutive of blá ‘yellow’. This was the name of an early Celtic saint.
- Scottish : shortened form of MacBlain.
- Scottish and northern English : nickname for a person suffering from boils, from Middle English blain ‘blister’, ‘pustule’.
- Variant of Blin, a reduced form of French Belin. Possibly also a reduced form of Abelin, a pet form of Abel.
- A Blain or Abelin from the Saintonge region of France is recorded in Contrecoeur, Quebec, in 1681. Lajeunesse is documented as a secondary surname in 1721.