Meaning and Origin of: Berry
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Bringer of victory
- Irish : Spear thrower
- Welsh : Son of Harry
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Irish (Galway and Mayo) : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Béara or Ó Beargha (see Barry 1).
- Scottish and northern Irish : variant spelling of Barrie.
- English : habitational name from any of several places named with Old English byrig, dative case of burh ‘fortified manor house’, ‘stronghold’, such as Berry in Devon or Bury in Cambridgeshire, Greater Manchester, Suffolk, and West Sussex.
- French : regional name for someone from Berry, a former province of central France, so named with Latin Boiriacum, apparently a derivative of a Gaulish personal name, Boirius or Barius. In North America, this name has alternated with Berrien.
- Swiss German : pet form of a Germanic personal name formed with Old High German bero ‘bear’ (see Baer).