Meaning and Origin of: Bara
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew : To choose
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Scottish : habitational name from Bara, the name of an old manor and parish in East Lothian.
- Polish, Czech, and Slovak (Bára) : from a reduced vernacular form of the Latin personal name Bartolomaeus, Polish Bartłomiej, Czech Bartoloměj (see Bartholomew),
- Hungarian : from a short form of the personal name Barabás (see Barabas).
- French : nickname for a quarrelsome or deceitful person, from Old French barat ‘commerce’, ‘dealings’, a derivative of barater ‘to barter’. Compare Barratt.
- Aragonese : habitational name from Bara in Uesca province, Aragon.
- Catalan (Barà) : respelling of Catalan Berà in Tarragona, Catalonia (see Bera).