Meaning and Origin of: Ash
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Ash tree; for girl or boy
- Old English : Ash tree; for boy or girl
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : from Middle English asche ‘ash tree’ (Old English æsc), hence a topographic name for someone living by an ash tree or a habitational name from any of the many places in southern and central England named with this word (Derbyshire, Dorset, Hampshire, Herefordshire, Kent, Surrey, Shropshire, Somerset, and elsewhere).
- In New England, Ash is commonly found for French Dufresne, with the same meaning.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from an acronym for Yiddish AltSHul (see Altschul) or AyznSHtot (see Eisenstadt).