Meaning and Origin of: Andre
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Valiant, courageous
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- French (André) : from the personal name André, French vernacular form of Andreas, also found as a Huguenot name in England in the 17th and 18th centuries.
- German : shortened form of Andreae.
- Swedish : shortened form of Andree.
- A bearer of the surname André is recorded in Quebec city in 1653; another, from Charente, is documented there in 1659. Other branches, from Normandy and Burgundy, were recorded in Montreal from 1663.